Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Falling Lines in Pleasant Places

People have asked me how I proposed to Susan and I thought I would follow up the last post with this one detailing that event. So here it is:

I had decided to ask this past Sunday because it was our 2 year 4 month anniversary/monthiversary and 2 year anniversary from the first time I told her I loved her. We were going to celebrate our anniversary so I figured I could make it on this day, make it special, and not be too obvious about my intentions (though she could see it coming a bit).

We went to Williamsburg, the beautiful historic colonial town, which is one of her favorite places. I had only been there once, so I didn't know the city very well and I was hoping to ask her in a special place. After we ate at a nice restaurant in Williamsburg we went walking and I started looking for a sign for the perfect location. Susan and I passed this nice garden of which she said, "This is my favorite garden of all time." Susan likes to use Hyperbole so I, like Gideon, was looking for at least one more sign for confirmation. Entering into the little white picketed fence area, Susan said, "I have thought about getting married here." Fiery writing on the wall couldn’t have been clearer. There was a tree that gave the garden its only shade, which was a blessed thing considering the heat was unbearable.

I had thought about everything, the nice note, Williamsburg, the nice meal, writing our story out on facebook, everything but the actual words I would say in that moment. I put my arms around her and started telling her how much I loved her and wanted to spend every day with her for the rest of my life and lingering I finally decided to get down on one knee and propose. I was so nervous I fiddled about with the ring and I think I had even attempted to put it on her right hand. She gave me a hug, while I was on one knee. There we were in this beautiful garden her down there with me in my proposed stance, the ring still in my hand, and it was better than I had imagined. Needing a confirmation, I asked, "so is that a yes?" to which she so fervently replied, "yes."

The garden was in a secluded area though I believe besides the angels in heaven we had one witness that was dressed up like a colonial man. He didn’t seem that excited.

We walked around a bit, though because of the heat punishing two British descendants with their cursed pale skin, we decided to leave and come back during the Fall to take pictures at a more congruous time. Later that night we celebrated with her family and it was a joyous feast and celebration.

Dates are still being considered but we are looking at sometime in the fall/winter. I realize this is vague but we only have a vague idea having to maneuver around work and school.

One of my favorite psalms is Psalm 16. Verse six says, “The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.” I am not even sure in what context the psalmist writes or if this is the right interpretation but I have always imagined times like this as the perfect description of lines falling in pleasant places. Surprised with so much joy I can see the lines falling all around me in the pleasant places that surround me (That rhyme is dedicated to Matt Baker). With each step in this path of uncertainty in many areas of life, it is beautiful to see how God has ordered things. Looking back I see how He had marked out the journey from the beginning and in this season things seem to be coming together in a supernatural way that only He could design.

The last two posts have a been a bit on the estrogen side so the next post will be about killing bears with bare hands and what not.

No comments: