Sunday, August 24, 2008

Chariots and Horses

I am still in Sucre and waiting for the arrival of my mom and our vacation. During these past few weeks my new partner, Efrain Mosquera from Colombia, has arrived and we both have been focusing on learning Quechua. Efrain has been with the team for over a year and a half now. He and Bobby Lane worked with the Yaminauah in the jungles of Peru, where the Yaminauah now have their own church and missionaries to reach their own people. We are really happy to have him.

This time has been good for resting and preparing for the next trip which should be the most exciting of them all as we are going to start storying with the Quechua in Quchumi. Recently I have been translating the story of creation from Spanish to Quechua (who would have ever thought?) and though it has been quite difficult I feel so excited about what our LORD will do through His beautiful word.

¨Some trust in Chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.¨
- Psalms 20:7

A friend of mine told me that they were praying the chapter of Psalm 20 for me while I was in the community. Verse seven of this chapter has always stood out to me. When I was a kid I thought it was kind of funny. I mean why would someone trust in a horse? It seemed to be to me all too silly. But after growing up a little and studying scripture especially in the times of the Judges and Kings I realized how much importance it was to have horses and chariots. The very numbers determined battles and gave hope to men or broke their spirits.

Time and time again when the numbers were against Israel God showed His power and saved His people. In many instances the Kings would lose heart at the sight of the great number of horses and chariots before them. Some even hired other nations to protect them. I reflected on this when I was in the community and though as I kid I thought it funny to trust in a horse in many ways I found myself still doing so, whether I was trusting in my own strength to get through the day or just the circumstances that appeared favorable to our mission. We put trust in the things we think will give victory but reality we are shown that victory is only given by God in ways we would never expect.

I guess that is one of the tests of faith. To look across the battlefield and know that we are in enemy territory and outnumbered on all accounts, and be able to reach down and find that hope in our LORD.

I look at the upcoming days in the community of Quchumi and I know that we are in enemy territory and in many ways outnumbered. We are able to face this with joy and hope because we are there in His Name. We are able to trust that He will do all and eliminate all obstacles in order for His Glory, His Precious Name to be known. Though some trust in chariots and some in horses, we will trust in the name of the LORD, our God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has been preparing you to share the gospel and these people to hear it. We are praying for receptive hearts.

Hannah and Randy said...

it was great to talk to you through the computer on wednesday night graham! thanks for sharing your life and passion with our youth group. they love you even though they've never met you! we are all praying for you. have fun with your mom!

hannah