Thursday, May 17, 2007

Down a Muddy Peruvian Road

Well, this is really the first time I have had a chance to blog since I have gotten down here. I am extremely limited in all forms of communication, so I hope that mercy will be given. So here is a quick update.
I am in Puerto Maldanado, which is a small city in the far southeast corner of the country. When I came, Jeremy, the Xtreme Team Leader, was in the process of training ten guys and three girls. They had about a month of training left. So for a little over two and a half weeks I stayed with the guys in training. There were two gringos (those of American Nationality), an Equadorian, and the rest were from various indigenous tribes throughout the country. The camp was in the middle of the jungle, where we had to bathe and wash clothes in the river, cook all our food from a camp fire, and basically endure nature and all its glory. It is amazing how many things I have taken for granted.
I don´t know Spanish, which I have been quickly assimilated with the guys. I was put into a group of three guys that we shared a house (which was built out of logs cut from machetes), and cooking. None of them spoke English, so needless to say we had some interesting conversations. I just hope that in my attempt to learn the language I didn´t offend anyone too bad.
Every morning we ran and did many excercises. The first day it rained hard in the morning. The route we ran, which was four miles, seemed uphill there and back, and with the mud I had a hard time finding my balance (which proved to be a consistent theme), but obviously the Peruvians had no trouble as they smoked me. Some not even wearing shoes. Humbling.
Well, upon running down that muddy Peruvian road, rain drenching me as I tried my hardest not to fall down the hills, I smiled to think that there was no other place I rather be. God has chosen me to be here for such a time as this.
Having said that, God has really put me through the fire since I have arrived. I have been challenged so greatly in spirit. I have been attacked spiritually, physically, emotionall, and mentally. Satan has tried to put so many doubts about my abilities, or lack thereof, and just try to rob me of my joy in God´s strength. I have to always come back to the reality that God is powerful enough to take my weaknesses and turn them into something that can be used. I just have to be willing to be pruned and refined. I have been sick with a sinus infection, my skin broke out in a rash, I have never felt hunger and thirst as I did in the jungle, the heat has worn me down, all the while I am trying my best to learn a language and be of some use to the guys. It is a good thing God doesn´t call the strong or the wise, but the weak and foolish. The latter two I have proven again and again that I qualify.
In everyway God has revealed more and more weaknesses, places where I need to grow. I have died a thousand deaths here, but what is wonderful is that God has raised me to new life a thousand times.
The guys had their graduation, which I will have to go through training, which is three months long, starting on August 20. Until then I am going with Jeff, one of the guys that just got done with training, to a Chyahuita Village where we will help another guy from training raise up a team to reach other indigenous tribes nearby. I will be out for three months and come back right before training starts. Not knowing Spanish or Chyahuita, obviously I will be a little overwhelmed, but if you can pray, pray that I will excel in the languages and can be of some use to the ministry. We have to be diligent in becoming like the people we will work with. Eat like them, work like them, and pick up much of their culture so that the Gospel and the training can flow and be received well. Pray for that sensitivity.
I appreciate everyone´s support and I hope that I will be able to update this again soon, but if not it will be mid August. Just remember me, and pray that I am faithful in all that I am called to do. Especially pray for the Chyahuita in that God will do an amazing work in them. I hope to maybe add to this blog when I have more time.

7 comments:

Copeland's Coffee Break said...

Graham it's good to read about you new life! I can realte to being humbled and struggling spiritually. It's kinda sobering being in another country and completely helpless and relying on others. I want to encourage you, if I can, to continue to hold fast to the truth you know. You are there for such a time as this, and God will supply ALL your needs according to His riches in glory (Phil 4:19). Know that I'm am praying daily for you and will be lifting up the requests you mentioned.
Something God has been showing me lately is that language is only one tool to be obtained in the realm of ministry. There are many things to be learned, and MUCH can be shared without words.
Don't feel obiligated to respond to this message, is you should happen to receive it in the next 3 months. The Lord bless and keep you!

Anonymous said...

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat. Teddy Roosevelt

What a great quote. Is there a greater cause than the cause of Christ?...He alone will sustain you.

love you,
mom

Anonymous said...

Graham, the wait to see your first blog has been excruciating, Randy told me today that he had been reading your friends blog and we have been waiting …… and praying ( hard to believe that me your YOUTH MINISTER prays eh). The heat you knew was coming, but I expect more from you on the running (you know the great runner I am these days). You need to just take your shoes off and run for glory. God is sufficient and He will never give you something you can not handle (the Bible says that some where and if I read it enough I would do as others and quote scripture). My life seems small as you take on this large endeavor and my aches and pains seem to fade away as I can not imagine (though I would love to be there {got it right} with you) what you are doing. Much love and prayers go with you as I have to go see Pirates of the Caribbean now.

Your boy

sk

Matthew said...

It is awesome to hear about the first part of your journey there. It is apparent that Father is already moving in mighty ways as He refines you and brings you around to where He needs you! Remember that we are struggling in our own ways, so we empathize with you my Brother. Father will sustain you and provide for you in ways that you could never imagine. When you get to read this, I challenge and encourage you with Ephs. 3:20! I miss you sir!!! ~Henneke

Anonymous said...

"A Christian missionary is a person whose passion isto make the Lord Jesus known to the whole world. I believe that "being a missionary" in the truest sense of the word it taking the Gospel where it has never been before, or at least to a different culture or a different language group. A true missionary is someone who will risk everything for the sake of the lost of this world." keith green

There are no words for the joy and envy that I have for you and your life today. I sit here in tears knowing that you truly are accomplishing things for eternity and resting "heavily" on the only one who will never leave you for forsake you. Fix your eyes on Jesus the author and perfector of your faith. Stand firm brother!! You are and will continue to succeed. Remember He measures success by obedience not results! He will be responsible to bring the results!!!

Love you brother

Randy

Unknown said...

Graham, I have read your blog post several times and am overwhelmed each time I read it. I will be praying specific things for you, specifically about your learning the language. You are great with languages -- don't forget that. You have a good grasp of how to study it, memorize, etc. and learn from those speaking it. You will pick it up just fine and God will prepare you for the moments you need it. I love you and am praying for you! Your sister, Ashley.

Larry M said...

Hey Son:

I painted a watercolor for you today of a guy running along the beach, palm trees overhead, sunset in the sky. It makes me think of you running the race for Jesus in Peru. I'll try to send it, and maybe it will arrive before you get back from your mission in the village. May you be strong in the Lord who is more than able to help you meet any challenge that you may face as you take on your mission...

"Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of this world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of this world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. Therefore, as it is written, 'Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.'" 1 Cor. 1:26-31

Love, Dad